YOUTH MUSIC PROGRAM
SUPPORT US: FRIENDS OF CATHEDRAL MUSIC
LISTEN & WATCH
Prospectus for Assistant Director of Music / Assistant Cathedral Organist
St. James Cathedral, a large urban cathedral parish in Seattle, Washington, is seeking a full-time Assistant Director of Music / Assistant Cathedral Organist ("Assistant").
1. Duties include provision of service music and organ literature for liturgies, choral accompaniment, some choral singing, special events, and recitals. Attendance at choral rehearsals will be announced and required; participation as a chorister, in unaccompanied repertoire, is expected. The Assistant would share administrative duties with the Director of Music / Cathedral Organist, as well as conducting and rehearsal responsibilities as needed. The Assistant would act as primary administrator and accompanist of the Cathedral Youth Music Program. The Assistant would be expected to assist diligently in maintaining a safe environment for everyone involved in the Cathedral's music program. Coverage of liturgies will be shared between the Director and the Assistant.
2. Applicants should be organists of advanced experience and training. Audition repertoire should demonstrate advanced facility, a mastery of diverse styles of literature, and sophisticated musicianship. Comfort and experience with liturgically appropriate improvisation is required. In addition, applicants should have significant choral conducting experience and training. The successful candidate will be comfortable working in an intergenerational environment, with choristers ranging from Grades 2-12 and adults.
3. Applicants should have a Master's degree in Music/Organ Performance (or equivalent), and a minimum of three years experience in the music program of a Cathedral or large parish. Choral experience (accompanying, singing, directing) is preferred. Experience with chorister training programs is highly preferred.
4. This position works collaboratively with, while reporting to, the Director of Music and Cathedral Organist to implement a program of liturgical music in accord with sound Catholic doctrine on sacred liturgy and music. Specifically, the music program at the Cathedral is based on substantial choral and organ repertoire, English and Latin chant, and hymnody.
5. The Assistant should possess and demonstrate clear knowledge of sound Catholic doctrine on sacred liturgy and music; and comply with Archdiocesan Codes of Conduct. Passing a background screening and completion of the Archdiocesan Safe Environment requirements are necessary for this position.
6. This position offers a competitive salary commensurate with qualifications and experience, and comprehensive benefits in accord with Archdiocesan Human Resources policies. Certain additional liturgies such as weddings and funerals include additional compensation.
7. To learn more about the Cathedral's music program, including the cathedral organs, please visit
. A complete job description of the position is available
at this link
8. To apply, please send a cover letter and résumé or CV (including at least three professional references) to the Director of Music at
Joseph Adam, Director of Music
St. James Cathedral
804 9th Ave
Seattle, WA 98104
In addition, all applicants must submit a completed Archdiocesan application form, which can be downloaded at
Supplemental information, including recordings, are welcome, but are optional at this time. Applications should be submitted no later than February 28, 2021.
804 Ninth Avenue Seattle, WA 98104 | 206-382-4874 |