HOME


The BASICS


• Mass Times


• Coming Events


• Sacraments


• Ministries


• Parish Staff


• Consultative Bodies


• Photo Gallery


• Virtual Tour


• History


• Contribute


PUBLICATIONS


• Bulletin: PDF


• In Your Midst


• Pastor's Desk


DEPARTMENTS


• Becoming Catholic


• Bookstore


• Faith Formation


• Funerals


• Immigrant Assistance


• Liturgy


• Mental Health


• Music


• Outreach


• Pastoral Care


• Weddings


• Young Adults


• Youth Ministry


PRAYER


KIDS' PAGE


SITE INFO





The property at Ninth and Columbia has a colorful history!  This photo from 1890 shows the Coppins Waterworks, which once supplied water to all of First Hill.


Charles Frye, meatpacker and art connoisseur, and his wife Emma built their home at Ninth and Columbia in 1902.  In this photo dating from 1905, we see many of the pieces that form the core of the collection of the Frye Art Museum to this day.  Photo courtesy of the Frye Art Museum.


In 1964, a fundraising campaign was launched to build a new convent for the Sisters of the Holy Names of Jesus and Mary.  Here the sisters stand outside the old (and now dilapidated) Frye Mansion which would be torn down to make way for the convent.


On August 17, 1964, the Convent was complete, and the Sisters proudly welcomed visitors to their new home.  The last few days before the Open House were hectic, as recorded in a letter from the sisters:  "July 31st was a day no Sister there will forget.  The old convent was to be evacuated so with only four days notice, the box brigade began.  By Friday evening the delighted sisters were surrounded by mounds of boxes in the new kitchen..."


The residents of St. James Convent gather around their fireplace in 1964-65.  Superior Sister M. Philothea is seated in the center.

View photos of the Pastoral Care Center under Construction

 

Return to St. James Cathedral Parish Website

804 Ninth Avenue
Seattle, Washington  98104
Phone 206.622.3559  Fax 206.622.5303