Archbishop Murphy Courtyard

Archbishop Thomas J. Murphy Courtyard

The Archbishop Thomas J. Murphy Courtyard on the south side of the Cathedral was completed in 2006.  The statue of Mary under the title of “Seat of Wisdom” originally stood at St. Edward Seminary in Kenmore.  Upon the closing of the seminary in the 1970s, the statue found a home here at the Cathedral.  In 2006, the fountain was added.  Water pours from a two-ton “source stone,” gathering in a pool at Mary’s feet.

Mensa

The marker commemorating three significant dates in the Cathedral’s history—its dedication, December 22, 1907; its rededication following restoration and renovation, December 22, 1994; and its centennial celebration, December 22, 2007—is itself a piece of Cathedral history.  This is the original mensa, or altar stone, of the Cathedral.  The location of the cornerstone of the Cathedral remains a mystery, and until it is found, this stone serves as a lasting reminder of three great moments in our history.